Monday, June 28, 2010

Yood-Hay-Vauv-Hay

We have been on the road so much for this trip, and especially the past few days, that I now remember time by location (LA, San Fran, on the road, etc.).  So much has happened (and we've been limited by internet connections) that we'll probably do a couple posts to make up for lost time.

Saturday:
We stayed Friday night with my cousin, Rebecca, and her husband, Josh.  I (Katie) don't get to see them hardly ever, and was grateful to get to spend time with them even if only for a few hours.  Rebecca gave us a tour of Fuller Theological Seminary, and then spoke to us about her church in Pasadena, Knox Presbyterian Church.



After lunch at Rebecca's, Debbie and I got on the road to San Francisco.  We opted to take Highway 1 north along the coast.  The experience was breath-taking, to say the least:





The closest thing I can compare driving along the 1 to is that of skydiving - beautiful, surreal, with an ever-present threat of death... and something I would do again in a heartbeat.


While on the road, we met Terry, the barista at a small roadside cafe (that sold gas for $4.71/gallon... ouch.).  He told us God's real name - pronounced "Yood-Hay-Vauv-Hay," which has been lost for thousands of years and obscured by the religious institution, so naturally we wouldn't have learned this in seminary.  Terry told us that if we want real power, use that name.  I must say I was tempted, as we rounded corners with sunlight directly in our eyes and the ocean directly below us.  


Originally a 7 hour drive, we finally arrived in San Francisco something like 10 hours later.  We crashed with my friend from college, Amy, who I also haven't seen in a long time!



2 comments:

  1. The same thing happened to me when I drove from L.A. to San Francisco last summer, the 7-hour drive turned into 10. But so totally worth it. I'm glad you guys took that route.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a deliciously accurate description of driving along Highway 1! I love this post!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete