Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Ewok country

It's Katie.  Our trip is complete... mostly.  I'm sitting at the airport in Seattle, and if all goes according to plan will be home in Boston in 12 hours.  American Airlines was kind enough to call me at 5:30 this morning to let me know that my flight home was cancelled.  Not that I'm complaining... I'm just not looking forward to 12 hours of acting like a head-lolling narcoleptic as I repeatedly fall asleep on the plane.



On Sunday, Debbie and I went to the Pride Parade in San Francisco.  We attended the Eucharist service hosted by the Episcopal and Lutheran churches, and then watched the parade.  Attending the 40th Pride Parade was a remarkable experience, and we have 400+ photos to document it.  Debbie will have more about that later.

After the parade, we left San Francisco and drove back up to Santa Rosa to stay with Matt and the Brits.

(the ranch)
(the boots)
(the hat)
(the winnebago)

Once we peaced out from the ranch, we drove north to Crescent City, California, through redwood country.  I would have to say that Monday was probably my favorite day of driving - we saw the redwoods, the mountains, the rocky coast, and elk.  We stopped at the tourist trap of Chandelier Tree, which is a 2400 year old tree that is big enough that a car can drive through it (there's a hole in the bottom).

Standing beneath a living creature that is 2400 years old - older than the history of my faith tradition - put humanity in perspective to creation for me.  Touching this tree was a more sacred experience for me than any relic or church building I've ever encountered.


Crescent City was gorgeous too.  At the suggestion of Mr. Edwards, we made a bee line for Jedediah State Park (6 miles outside of Crescent City).  We also spent time at the coast.  (Again - see Debbie for photos.)

Allrighty - we're about to board.  More later, as I have a 5 hour layover in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment